Monday, September 20, 2010

Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
Goodbye Renesmee Cullen… Hello Mrs Black
I felt my heart beat faster than I thought it was capable of beating as I was ushered into the large bathroom where Alice had set up enough cosmetics to make a department store envious. There were creams and powders that I hadn’t even heard of and some things that I didn’t even know the name of but Alice seemed to be in her element. I was ordered to shower and put on my robe before I was forced into what looked like a barbers’ chair that was now sitting in the middle of the room. I watched as she dried my hair with a blow dryer and the proceeded to straighten the curls out of my hair. I had never straightened my hair before, mainly because I had so much hair that it would have taken forever but partly because Jake had always said he liked it the way it was, but as Alice straightened it bit by bit I was amazed at how lovely it looked. I was hoping she was going to leave it there and let me have my hair out, so I could have something to hide behind since I wasn’t wearing a veil, but I should have know better than that; she finished straightening it and the proceeded to section it and twist the sections into a fancy braid. The end result was that all of my hair was pulled back from my face but twisted and pinned into a loose braid that fell down the middle of my spine. I loved the way it looked by the expression on Alice’s face was one of discontent, she tapped a small finger against her full pursed lips and the skin between her eyebrows crinkled and she sighed “It’s missing something. Stay there I will be right back.” I had barely nodded my head before she had shot from the room. I was thinking about getting a drink when she flew back in and scolded me “I thought I told you not to go anywhere.” I blinked in surprise and said “But I didn’t go anywhere!” There was a chuckle from the doorway and I spun to see Momma standing there with a big grin on her face. She looked stunning in a one shouldered deep blue gown that fluttered around her like clouds of silk; her beautiful hair was twisted and pinned in an elaborate knot on top of her head. She laughed again before saying “Yeah but you moved an inch and that counts. Alice is there anything I can do to help with her hair?” I smiled at Momma and watched as Alice seemed to lose focus slightly, she did this when she ‘saw’ something and immediately the tension in the room doubled. “What did you see?” I asked quietly but she shook her head and whispered “Nothing I was just checking that everything was going to run smoothly today.” She patted my shoulder and spoke to Momma “Bella, there is something you can help me with.” I watched as Momma danced over to us and Alice said “It’s missing something and I thought maybe flowers but now looking at it I think they’d over-power the whole look.” Momma nodded and dashed from the room, I had drawn one breath before she was back again, and in her hand she held an old flat box. I was curious about what was inside and leant forward in my chair to get a better look, and when Momma came and stood beside me before opening the lid she said “These belonged to my Grandmother and Charlie and Renee gave them to me on the day that your father and I got married and I think that they’d look lovely in your hair if you would like to wear them.” I nodded and she flipped the lid of the box open, when I saw what lay inside that little nondescript box I felt tears well in my eyes. Inside that flat little box lay two beautiful hair combs, of course I had seen pictures of them from Momma and Daddy’s wedding but seeing them twinkle in the light, shining with colour and life, was something else entirely. Alice sighed and removed the clips from the box saying “Bella you are a life saver! These are perfect!” and I couldn’t have agreed more.
Alice fixed the combs into my hair and sighed with pleasure over her creation, she held up a mirror so I could see the elaborateness and I was amazed at how skill-full she was. I hopped out of the chair and hugged her tightly saying “Thank you for making me look beautiful, I love you Aunt Alice.” She smiled in a distinctly wetly way, even though vampires couldn’t cry, and hugged me back before stepping out of my embrace and saying “Sweetheart you don’t need help looking beautiful because you already are, always have been. Okay, I am going to leave you in the capable hands of your mother to get dressed so I can go and get ready for this fabulous wedding and I will see you at the ceremony.” And she danced out of the room leaving just Momma and me. I looked over at Momma and grinned; she laughed and said “I can’t believe you’re getting married! You look so grown up and I want to lock you in a room and never let you out.” I laughed and we both said at the same time “But Jake wouldn’t let that happen.” Momma chuckled and said “No he wouldn’t. Okay let’s get you dressed before Alice comes back in and tears us to shreds.” Again I laughed but this one sounded distinctly nervous and when I reached for the dress bag that hung on the back of the door my hand shook. Momma reached a steady hand out to take the dress from me, I released my hold without a fight and stepped away as she unzipped the bag and pulled my dress free. I was again struck by how beautiful the dress was, I loved that as Momma moved it shimmered and twinkled like thousands of tiny stars. I shrugged out of the dressing gown that Alice had made me wear over my bridal underwear (a corset -that did amazing things for my cleavage- with matching panties and a garter that attached to the stockings that encased my legs) Mom raised one eyebrow at the under garments and I felt colour heat my cheeks “Alice told me I had no choice, that this was what I had to wear!” was all I could say at the look she was shooting me. Shaking her head and taking a deep –albeit pointless- breath Mom said “I know she said the same thing to me, I was just wondering where my baby went. That’s all.” I crossed the space between us and said “Momma I haven’t gone anywhere, and I don’t plan on going anywhere.” She kissed my cheek before checking her watch saying “Quickly before Queen Alice comes back in.” I started as Alice’s voice sounded from down stairs “I can hear you and I am not that bad, nor is the underwear! Hurry up or Nessie is going to be late.”
Both Mom and I looked at one another and burst into fits of laughter. Once we had control of ourselves we concentrated on the task ahead of us. I stepped onto the tiny dais and held my arms above my head as Mom lowered the skirt of my dress down, carefully, over my head before securing the hidden zipper. She brought over the bodice and laced it up over the top of my corset, I was grateful at Alice’s insistence on the corset as Mom laced me into my dress. I had an okay figure without the corset but with it I had a shape that most women would envy, I was a nice hour-glass shape which accentuated the gown and made me feel extremely feminine. I sighed as I lowered my arms but before I could say anything Mom said “You need to give Alice credit, she does know her stuff.” I laughed softly and just nodded my head in agreement; I couldn’t have spoken even if I wanted to.
We both heard the slight footsteps of my father on the stairs and when they stopped outside the dressing room door I said “You can come in Daddy.” And when he walked through the door his breath hitched in his throat and he said in quiet reverence “Renesmee you are beautiful! Almost as gorgeous as your mother was on our wedding day.” I smiled and said “Is it almost time?” he nodded and said “Everyone left about ten minutes ago and the car is waiting downstairs, we have fifteen minutes before we should leave.” I was surprised at how quickly the time had flown while I had been getting ready. “Wow!” was all I could manage to force out past suddenly frozen lips. Momma came and stood by me and whispered “It will all be okay, just focus on Jacob and you will get through this. Let’s put your shoes on and go and see your future husband.” I shivered at the feeling of excitement that coursed through me as she said ‘husband’. I lifted the front of my dress so Daddy could help me slide my feet into my shoes, I was thankful that he couldn’t see what was under it, then I rolled my eyes as his shoulders stiffened before he said “I will have to have a talk with Alice over her choice of under garments she thought were appropriate.” I bent down and kissed his cheek saying “Daddy, honestly they aren’t that revealing and I think they look nice.” He huffed but returned to helping my put on the high-heeled beaded satin pumps that Alice had chosen to match the dress, once my feet were safely encased within my shoes I dropped the front of my dress and stepped down of the dais. I was stunned by the sudden popping of a flash and found Mom taking pictures of me, I walked over to stand beside Daddy and she took a picture of the two of us before exchanging positions with him and standing beside me with her arm wrapped around me while he took a picture. By the time we had done this we had time enough to walk down the stairs to the waiting car and race towards my future.
When we arrived at the small chapel on the outskirts of town and I was stunned at how many cars were parked in the lot. I waited as the door of the car was opened and Daddy exited the car and held out a hand to help Mom out; once she was out he turned back to me, held out his hand and said “It isn’t too late, if you want to stop this now we can go home.” I laughed at him and said “It was too late the second I saw Jacob.” I placed my palm in his waiting one and let him help me out of the car. Once I was free of the vehicle I was greeted by Hayley who said “I know I’ve been pretty slack with the whole bridesmaid thing but I thought you would be more grateful for the time spent alone with your family.” I hugged her briefly, a flare of hunger flashing through me, before saying “Thank you for that, I will remember what you have done for me forever.” She grinned wetly before going about straightening my skirt and checking that I was right before we walked towards the doors of the chapel. We were greeted by a volunteer who directed Mom to her seat before signalling that the wedding could begin. The music started and Hayley, shooting my one last grinning glance, walked away from us and down the tiny aisle of the chapel. I watched her go and the fluttering wings of nervousness that I had been feeling suddenly settled and I lifted my head and looked for Jacob as Daddy and I begun our walk down the aisle.
He was standing at the end of the aisle, waiting for me. The look of love on his face made my eyes well but the tears didn’t fall, they sparkled in my eyes as I gazed lovingly at the man I was about to marry. He looked so handsome and debonair in the tuxedo that had been made specifically for him and I felt my heart swell even more with love. He moved a few steps up the aisle and waited for us to reach him, he held out his hand to receive mine and when Daddy put my hand within Jacob’s he smiled and whispered “Treat her well or I’ll tear you to pieces.” Jake laughed as I whispered “Daddy!” but he let go of my hand and hugged my father saying “Thank you for this gift.” Daddy looked surprised but nodded and took his seat beside Momma and the ceremony begun.
Thankfully the ceremony was only short but when the priest asked us to repeat our vows after him we did so, my voice shaking slightly with emotion but Jake’s voice rang out loud and clear; the love he felt for me clear in every syllable he spoke and when the priest declared us man and wife and said that Jake could kiss his wife the crowd cheered. I looked up into the eyes of my loving husband, smiling as his head lowered towards mine, and then he pulled me closer and placed his mouth against mine. Kissing me softly but thoroughly enough that there were a few hoots from our family and friends, we turned to face the crowd and the Priest spoke to them saying “Please help me in welcoming Mr and Mrs Jacob Black.” Our friends and family cheered and we made our way back down the aisle and out to the waiting cars.
The reception that followed was more a party than anything, except this party had guests in formal gear instead of jeans and shirts, we danced and ate and generally enjoyed ourselves. The only thing that irritated me about the entire night was the fact that I was passed from man to man like some sort of prize, each man wanted to dance with me and all I wanted was to dance with Jake. I was rescued by my father after what felt like the thirtieth dance, he swung me around the dance floor effortlessly saying “I know all you want to do is dance with Jacob but would it be too much to ask that I can have one dance?” I relaxed into his hold and thought ‘Daddy you are different, you can have as many dances as you want you’re my Daddy.’ He smiled before twirling me around again. I felt my stomach drop as the world continued to spin even though I had stopped and I stumbled slightly “Whoa that sucks.” Daddy held my elbow and waited for me to right myself, chuckling under his breath “Nessie that is the first time I have ever seen you stumble, maybe you got more of your mother in you than we thought.” I laughed along with him, careful to keep my mind blank because I didn’t want him to worry about me. I had been doing it a lot lately, stumbling or tripping and it had been bothering me but tonight wasn’t the time to think about it. I suddenly noticed that our dance had come to a stop and we were standing in a quiet corner, I looked around confused but the reason we were there became quite clear when Jacob materialised out of the darkness. His deep voice was happy and calm, I walked towards him and felt his arms cradle around me. I rested my head against his chest and listened as his words rumbled out “Thanks Edward. It’s kind of like déjà vu, another wedding yet you still have given me the greatest gift.” I turned my head to look towards Daddy in time to see him smile and walk away. I looked up into the face of the man I loved and smiled brightly; he grinned down at me and whispered to me “Are you hating this whole thing?” I smiled and said “I didn’t like being passed around but I am definitely enjoying this part.” I stood on tip-toe and kissed his jaw, the only part of him I could reach, before saying “So Mr Black would you like to dance with the bride?” He laughed and hugged me close, saying “Yes Mrs Black I would like that very much.” I shivered as his voice dropped to a gravely tone and his lips grazed my ear. It was then that it struck me that I was somebody’s wife! Amazement and joy danced through me as I straightened in Jacobs’ arms. He had other ideas of how he wanted to dance with me and I was relieved to just sway slowly, revolving in circles, in his arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment