Monday, September 20, 2010

Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
Surprises
As the night drew to a close we discovered that we had at least one surprise waiting for us that we hadn’t known about. Jacob and I were preparing to leave (someone, though no-one was telling me who –my guess was Mom- had arranged for us to go on a honeymoon) and as we were saying goodbye to our friends and family we were stopped short by the presentation of a small nondescript box. I felt my confusion mirrored by Jake and only when prompted did either of us actually make any move to open the box. I lifted the lid and stared in mute mystification at the two tiny metal keys that lay inside on a cushion of velvet. I looked up at Jake and he just shook his head and shrugged his shoulders, I dropped on hand from the box and touched his palm, his smile was reassuring and he cleared his throat before saying “Ah, thanks, we think anyway.” The crowd laughed and Emmett spoke from near the back of the room “That was pretty much what Bella said when we handed her a similar box.” Still confused I just stared at the tiny keys and obviously our inability to understand what they were was irritating for him because Emmett growled “They are keys,” ‘no kidding’ I thought and heard Daddy snicker before Emmett continued “For your new house!” I stood staring in stunned silence at the many faces of our family and the only words my stunned brain could get out were “No way!” laughter erupted around us and I felt a blush stain my cheeks, I buried my head into Jacobs’ chest. It vibrated with suppressed laughter but I didn’t care, I couldn’t stop the tears that flooded my eyes and spilled over onto my cheeks and I didn’t want my family to see them. I gripped Jacobs’ hand tight and he hugged me closer, his words echoing through his wide chest. Emotion rich in every word “We can’t thank you enough for everything that you guys have done for us.” He bent down and kissed my head before continuing “We feel so blessed at having family and friends as wonderful as the ones we have.” There was a resounding cheer at his words and I finally felt in control enough to look up, every one of the faces staring at us was filled with love and happiness. I smiled wetly before saying “Thank you all for making this day so special and we will see you when we get back.” We kissed and hugged everyone again before making our way out to the waiting car.
We made it to the car and out onto the road before we spoke, and the silence was broken by Jake “Ness, are you okay?” I smiled over at him and said “I couldn’t be happier if I tried, why do you ask? Are you happy?” He glanced over at me and his smile seemed to glow in the dim light, he sighed and said “I am fantastic, I get you to myself for an entire week and we are finally married and I am ecstatic!” I laughed gently at him; I leant across the small space between us and whispered in his ear “I can’t wait to get you alone.” My breath against his earlobe caused him to shudder, I felt the deep breath he took and wasn’t surprised when he said “I think you had better sit back and give me some space otherwise we won’t get to the airport for our flight.” We had a flight booked that left for Hawaii at one in the morning and it was already pushing midnight so I leant back and closed my eyes. I was tired from the emotions of the day but wired at the same time.
I must have drifted off to sleep because the next thing I knew Jacob was shaking me gently whispering “Ness you need to wake up, we’re at the airport.” His words jolted me awake and I practically bounced from the car saying “I’m good, I’m awake. Let’s go.” He smiled softly and wrapped his arms around me as we walked into the almost empty airport. We checked in and barely had time to go to the bathroom before our flight was called. As the plane taxied down the runway I felt nervous, I had never been in a plane and I was a little scared about the whole thing. I focused on Jacob and before I knew it we were in the air and I had felt nothing. Jacob pulled me closer to him, kissing my hair and touching my face, I held still, enjoying his attention. A flight attendant asked if we would care for anything to drink and I touched Jakes’ hand ‘asking’ jokingly, if he thought they’d have blood. He chuckled before shaking his head and asking for two cokes to be brought over. The attendant looked at us strangely before walking away.
The flight wasn’t as long, or as stressful, as I thought it would be and before I knew it we were bustling through the airport and out into the warm night air of Hawaii. I was excited about the sunshine and being able to go out into it without a care in the world. Jake didn’t sparkle and the shine to my skin was subtle and it lent a luminosity that many would pay money for, so we didn’t have to worry about that. It was early enough that the streets were basically empty and when we checked into the hotel we were greeted by a sleepy concierge and directed to our room, assisted by a slightly vacant looking bellhop. The room that had been booked was the penthouse suite, I was as surprised as much as Jacob at the generosity of my family and we were also surprised that even our activities had been paid for. Jake tipped the bellhop and we turned from the door to look around the luxuriously appointed suite of rooms. When Jake swept me off my feet and carried me into the room, I squealed in surprise “Jacob what are you doing?” He chuckled and said it is customary to carry the bride over the threshold.” I laughed and said “Yes but isn’t that of the home you’re going to share, not every threshold?” he frowned at me before asking “You don’t want me to carry you?” I sighed, my shoulders slumping as I realised that I had upset him. I touched his cheek and said “Honey you can carry me anywhere any time but the one place I would like you to carry me is the bedroom.” I had barely gotten the words out before I was being laid down on the silk coverlet of the king sized bed.
I was amazed at how quickly the time does go when you want it to last forever, the morning of our last day in Hawaii dawned with sizzling heat and as I strode to the window I thought about the people waiting for us at home. It was then that I remembered that we hadn’t gotten any souvenirs for anyone. I turned from the window, sensing that I was no longer alone, and said “We had better go and do some souvenir shopping before we go home, Seth and Emmett will be bitterly disappointed if we return without gifts for them.” I laughed softly as I walked into Jake’s open arms, the second they closed around me I felt safe and loved and a fierce need for him that hadn’t faded in the time we had been alone. He kissed my cheek and whispered “Can’t we just get them something from the airport? That way we can spend the rest of the day right here.” My stomach pulled as my blood heated, I did want to spend the day with him but I wanted to buy something special for our family, I pulled out of his arms and mock-scolded him “Jacob Black is that all you think about?” I laughed as he growled “Hell yes it is” before stalking me through the room. I bounded lightly over the couch but as I landed a wave of vertigo struck and I stumbled to my knees. Jacob was beside me in a second, gathering me into his arms. Concern shone from his eyes as he asked ‘Ness! Are you okay? What happened?” I laughed, the sound coming out hollow to my own ears, because I didn’t want to worry him on the last of our time together so I said “See what happens when you wear me out! I need some time to recover so we need to shop.” He smiled warily before agreeing to my plan. He went to shower and I let my worry run rampant, I was so concerned about the dizzy spells and the clumsy episodes but I hadn’t wanted to worry anyone else so I hadn’t asked anyone about it but they were getting more frequent and obvious to everyone around me. I resolved myself to ask Carlisle when we got home if there was something wrong with me.
By the time Jake had finished in the shower I was calm and before he could ask me how I felt I escaped into the bathroom, I locked the door and stood beneath the calming spray of the shower for longer than I normally would. I hurried through dressing, deciding that I wasn’t going to give him the time to ask if I was okay, and met him in the lounge. I smiled brightly up at him and said “Let’s go shopping there are so many people I want to buy for. We should get something for Seth and Hayley’s wedding while we are here that way it will be unique.” This comment distracted him enough “Wedding? What wedding? Seth never mentioned getting married!” I smiled and said “Neither did Hayley but if the conversation we had the day before our wedding is anything to go by there will be another wedding shortly.” I replayed the conversation with Hayley through my head as I held his hand; Jake chuckled and shook his head saying “I know what you mean. That girl is definitely stubborn and poor Seth is like a love sick puppy, no pun intended, around her.” We laughed as we made our way through the tourist laden streets. By lunchtime we had brought for almost every one, we only had Carlisle and Sam to go, in the end we brought Sam a carving of a dolphin and Carlisle a landscape painting, I was pleased that we were able to get such personalised gifts but I was exhausted and I suggested we go back to the hotel and sleep before our flight that evening. Jake agreed and we did go back to the hotel but we didn’t sleep.
As we followed the bellhop through the noisy lobby I felt fatigue come over me in a wave and I could barely keep my eyes opened to get through the airport and onto the plane. Jake was supporting me the majority of the way but I couldn’t have cared less. The second we were seated on the flight home I closed my eyes and flaked out, I woke briefly about two hours into the flight but sleep claimed me again quickly. It wasn’t until Jake moved from beneath my resting head that I woke enough to ask him “Are we back yet?” He smiled softly and said “Yeah Honey we are, I was just going to carry you out but I think the stewardess was concerned that I had kidnapped you and I think she might be planning on calling security if you don’t walk out of here on your own power. Once we’re in the car you can sleep again, your dad sent me a text with the directions to our house but if you want to be more awake for the great exploration than we should just go back to your parents until morning.” I was so grateful that he knew me as well as he did and I said “If you can hold off carrying me over every threshold than I think we should go back to my parents place, we can give them their presents and then in the morning when I’m more awake than we can go explore our new home.” And as I said the words ‘new home’ I felt a kick of excitement but it wasn’t enough to ward off my exhaustion. I crashed within seconds of falling into the car, I wasn’t even sure that I had put my seatbelt on. I slept until we reached the house my parents lived in, the second we pulled to a stop and Jacob cut the engine my eyes flew open and I felt energy flowing through my body, more energy than I had felt in days.
I jumped out of the car and flew across the yard to throw my arms around the marbled hardness that was my father. His arms came around me and I felt great joy at seeing them again, he pulled me tighter into his embrace saying “It is good to have you home Renesmee, it seems that you have been gone forever.” I laughed and looked past him for Mom, I wasn’t disappointed because she was standing several feet behind Daddy but she wasn’t alone. My entire family were waiting for us and I felt joy and happiness welling within me. I disentangled myself from Daddy and went to hug Momma, she pulled me hard against her and whispered “Welcome back baby.” Her voice rough from the emotion she was trying to hide. It was as I pulled away from her that I noticed the smell, it was kind of sweet and slightly sickly. I sniffed and wondered where it was coming from. Daddy’s voice came from behind me saying “I can’t smell anything.” I shrugged and tried to forget about it as I went to greet the rest of my family but the smell lingered and it was causing my stomach to revolt. I was careful to keep my mind blank so that Daddy wasn’t alerted to my distress and I quickly threw myself into handing out presents.
Since we had missed Christmas while we had been away, Jake and I had decided that the presents could act as Christmas gifts as well. I handed out each gift, giving my family strict instructions that they were to wait to open their present until everyone had their gift, I knew that it was pointless because Alice could see every present and Daddy could read the thoughts as they passed through her mind but I still wanted it to be a surprise. Both Jacob and I were pleased that everyone seemed to genuinely love their present and exclaimed their delight loudly. After they had opened all of their gifts Mom got up from the lounge that she had been sitting on and disappeared, she appeared seconds later with an armful of gifts of her own. This made several other members of our family do the same thing. I was touched that they had waited to have a Christmas until we had returned and we were all together and happy.
Several hours later I was still wide awake and still struggling to discover the origin of the scent that I could smell. Jake eventually called an end to our night and whisked me away from my family to the house they had built for us not far from their own. As we drove away from everyone the smell became less noticeable and I was thankful that I didn’t have to worry about it. I looked out through the windscreen of the car watching the world fly by as we sped towards our house. We rounded a bend in the road and sitting straight ahead of us was a single storey ranch inspired house. It had wide sprawling verandas wrapping around the entire building, it was painted a bright clean creamy-white and the shutters on the windows were a deep red. I fell in love with it the second I saw it, I could see myself here, raising a family and watching the ones I love coming and going. I barely waited for the car to come to a stop before I jumped from the passenger seat and walked towards the front steps. I had climbed them and was about to open the front door when strong arms swept we off the ground and I was suddenly looking up into Jacob’s intense features. He looked slightly perplexed at the sudden about face in my exhaustion and I could hear it in his voice as he playfully asked “Were you really going to deprive me of carrying you over the threshold after I restrained myself from doing it in every room in your parent’s house?” I giggled and said “Of course not! I wouldn’t dream of depriving you of anything you wanted.” I knew he got my meaning because he swiftly shifted my weight, swung the front door open and had me over the threshold and into a wide foyer before I could even finish my statement. He didn’t put me down as we quickly searched every room for the one room we wanted, the master bedroom. The rest of the house could be explored later.

No comments:

Post a Comment