Monday, August 23, 2010

Chapter Two

You can choose your friends but not your family.


We had barely disembarked before I was swept into the hard embraces of my parents. Neither one said anything but I could tell that they had been just as worried about me as Jacob had been. Momma was the first to break the silence. “Renesmee, sweetheart, I am so glad you’re home. I had to restrain your father from going to the school several times to check on you.” Her musical voice was only over-shadowed by the crystalline chuckle that sounded from deep inside her chest. I cocked my head to the side and thought ‘Daddy’ he had the good grace to look embarrassed. I laughed and he said “What kind of a father would I be if I wasn’t worried about my only child on her first day at a new school?” I chuckled again and buried my head against his marble chest saying “You wouldn’t be my Daddy if you didn’t worry about everything. That’s why we love you.” Jake laughed and whatever he thought caused Daddy to narrow his golden eyes and growl, low in his chest, which caused Jake to laugh even more but before I could worry too much Mom stepped in and said “That’s enough.” Putting a hand on Daddy’s chest she concentrated heavily. I had only seen her do this a couple of times and each time a look of absolute wonder and pure love crossed over my father’s face, he nodded slowly as if he had forgotten why he was annoyed in the first place and turned to me saying “I am so glad your first day went so well and your friends seem like nice kids.” I smiled; most kids would be annoyed that their parents took such interest in their lives; I was pleased that they loved me enough to be interested and I simply nodded and said “It looks promising.” Then whirling suddenly both my parents were gone, escaping into the dense forest that bordered our property.

As they darted through the forest edge and were quickly lost within its thick embrace, I was embraced in a more physical sense as Jacob wrapped his arms around my middle and whispered in my ear “Are you hungry?” up until that point I hadn’t thought about my hunger; I found thinking about it made the hunger fiercer, so I chose not to think about it. Jake laughed softly as my stomach rumbled audibly. I grinned sheepishly and said “Give me thirty seconds to put my stuff away and I’ll be back. No running off within out me, even though you know that even with a head start I’d still kick your butt.” I danced away from his seeking hands and giggled as I raced inside. Since we were away from prying eyes I was free to be me and I could move at the speed that was denied to me throughout the day. I sped through the house and once in the sanctity of my room I stripped bare and threw on a faded pair of blue jeans that rode low on my slim hips and a thinly worn smock top in sunflower yellow, I dug out a pair of slip on shoes and was back outside to Jacob within the thirty seconds I promised him. Except Jacob wasn’t there, in his place stood a mountain sized russet brown wolf, its razor sharp teeth showing in what could have been described as a smile and a coughing bark sounded in the quiet clearing. I grinned and ran my fingers through his thick fur, stretching my face closer to his I kissed the fuzzy spot between his eyes and said “Love you Jake.” A soft purring noise, like that of a satisfied cat, was my only reply.

Hunting was always fun with Jake and I wasn’t in my typical competitive frame of mind so I allowed him to beat me in finding a kill quicker. We went back home and neither of us were surprised to find the house in darkness; obviously my parents had decided to hunt further away than we had. I left Jake to pick a movie while I went and showered, I felt gritty from my day at school and the hunt. I luxuriated under the hot steady beat of the shower and washed my hair in the time I took. Once I got out of the shower I took the time to dry my thick hair and braid its length into some semblance of order, by the time I made it back downstairs Jacob had also showered, had popped some popcorn and was waiting for me to pick something for us to watch. I perused the extensive DVD collection my parents had amassed and finally settled on one of my favourites, I opened the cover and was surprised to find it empty. I turned my head to look at Jake when he laughed and said “What’s so funny Jake?” he shook his head and flicked his wrist, a clicking noise sounded and suddenly the dimly lit room was flooded in light as the opening scene of the movie played. He chuckled again and said “I knew that you’d pick this one so I figured I’d save time and just put it in. I don’t know what I’d have done if you had’ve decided to watch something else.” I grinned and crossed the room to snuggle up next to him on the large sofa he had chosen to occupy. I sighed and drew in deep breaths, his luscious smell invading my every sense and an overpowering need assailed me. I have always loved Jake, one of my very first memories was of loving Jacob, but this physical need was something that had manifested quite recently and I was extremely eager to pursue it. The way I figured, an empty house was the best time to do it.

I waited until I knew his interest had been snagged by the movie before I made my move. I lifted the corner of his shirt; which was nothing unusual because if I wanted to ‘speak’ to him, I rarely verbalised it and this showed when he barely moved at the contact, but instead of laying my palm against his skin and letting my thoughts flow I ran it further up his torso and rubbed it across his hard pectorals. This definitely got his attention, even though his pose hadn’t changed his entire body had gone rigidly still and I knew from experience that he had stopped breathing. I leaned closed and whispered “Breathe Jake otherwise you’re gonna pass out on me and that is the last thing I want.” The only sign that he had heard me was the sound of his breath rushing out in a ragged sigh and a soft inhalation. I rose up on my knees and straddled his lap; I leant in and kissed his mouth softly. I wasn’t really sure how to proceed and I didn’t want to spook him. He didn’t respond to that first soft kiss so I moved closer and kissed him a little harder and it was like a switch had flipped; he grabbed my waist and dragged me closer to his hard body, his mouth become the aggressor and I moaned in need. I sighed in longing when he shifted our position and I found myself lying on the sofa with him over me kissing me possessively. This was what I had wanted and I was excited to know that I hadn’t had to push to get it. Neither one of us was in control and it showed when a voice sounded from inside the front door we jolted apart as if shocked and we had enough time to sit up on the sofa before Alice and Jasper entered the room. Disbelief raged through me; how had we gotten so carried away that neither of us heard my family coming or heard them entering the house for that matter. I shot a Jake a quick look but he had slid a mask over his features and I couldn’t tell what he was thinking so I turned my attention back to our interrupters.

I had barely three seconds to prepare myself from the second we heard them enter the house to the moment they walked into the room we occupied but somehow I managed to rearrange my features into a welcoming smile, I was happy to see them because they had been away visiting Peter and Charlotte who were old friends of Jaspers’ and it had been months but I was annoyed that they had chosen that moment to surprise us with a visit. As they breezed into the room I wasn’t surprised to see the concerned look on Jazz’s face but this was the only indication that either of them knew that they had interrupted something. I leapt from the couch and hugged them both hard, though Alice more so than Jasper. I loved Jazz, he was fabulous, but his pupils always dilated with awareness of my blood and I knew that it made him uncomfortable. I stepped back from them and collided with the solid wall of hot muscle that was Jacob. I sucked in a ragged breath as desire raced through my veins. I closed my eyes briefly to try and collect my thoughts, when I opened them I had some control over myself and I grinned at them saying “I am so glad that you’re back, we’ve missed you guys so much. Did you have fun? How are Charlotte and Peter?” I moved slightly away from Jake so I could concentrate on the answers to my questions. Jazz raised one perfect blonde eyebrow before saying “They are the same as ever, their stint in France has made them more aristocratic than ever. Have we missed anything?” His soft drawl was accompanied by a wave of control and my desire and, by the look that Jazz was shooting Jake and the way Jake kept his eyes downcast, Jake’s desires cooled enough for us to entertain our guests.

I wasn’t surprised to hear my parents enter the house barely ten seconds later. Mom came flying through the door and crashed into Alice; hugging her fiercely. Daddy crossed the room more sedately and shook Jaspers’ hand before pulling him into a hug. I always got a comforting feeling from watching my family interact, it made me feel safe. I smiled as the conversation became more detailed but I didn’t miss the silent conversation going on between Alice and Daddy, and I was especially concerned when I saw the small frown crease the skin between his eyebrows but I dismissed it because I knew that if it was overly important that they would share it with the rest of us. I felt a small flash of resentment, over the interruption to Jake and my plans, burn its way into my bloodstream but I quickly quashed it. I was stunned when a vibrating sound came from behind me, I turned in time to see Jake place his cell phone against his ear and say “Hey, nah I’m not busy.” He shot me a smile and walked out of the door. I levelled a quizzical glance on my father and he just shrugged.

No comments:

Post a Comment